Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Thought of the Day...Stop Thinking!


So I don't know if any of you have this problem or not, but sometimes it is ridiculously hard for me to fall asleep at night. Not because I've had too much caffeine, (no such thing,) or because I've napped too much during the day, (I wish.) No, my problem is a lot more difficult to eliminate...I simply can't stop thinking. I tend to analyze everything, which can be time consuming, but fascinating. However, I've been thinking lately that maybe this tendency of mine is not always pleasing to God. I mean, I know that He made me this way...(and probably finds much amusement in hearing my thoughts go round and round like a hamster on a wheel.) But at the same time, I also struggle ultimately trusting Him with those thoughts.

Okay...yes, I am a control freak. I own that. And that combined with my analytical tendencies makes for an interesting, and unfortunately self-dependent attitude. But as I was reading from the Word this morning...*side note: cuddled up in my study chair with four pillows, a blanket, and a hot cup of coffee, facing out the open window with the fresh morning breeze blowing across my face....* it really struck me that while it is good to to do the thinking that I do, I need to ultimately not rely on my own conclusions, but trust Him implicitly with them. So Proverbs 3 struck me in a new way...
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding; think about Him in all your ways, and He will guide you on the right paths. Don't consider yourself to be wise; fear the Lord and turn from evil. This will be healing for your body and strengthening fo ryour bones." ~Proverbs 3:5-8~
I also turned to Psalms, to one of my favorite passages, as a reminder that in those late nights when I can't sleep, and I try to solve the world's problems, that I really should be focusing on thinking about Him.
"God, You are my God; I eagerly seek You. I thirst for You; my body faints for You, in a land that is dry, desolate, and without water. So I gaze on You in the sanctuary to see Your strength and Your glory. My lips will glorify You because Your faithful love is better than life. So I will praise You as long as I live; at Your name, I will lift up my hands. You satisfy me as with rich food, my mouth will praise You with joyful lips. When, on my bed, I think of You, I meditate on You during the night watches because You are my help; I will rejoice in the shadow of Your wings. I will follow close to You; Your right hand holds on to me." ~Psalm 63:1-8~
So if there are any other crazy insomniacs out there...I would really encourage you to spend your precious thoughts on something worthwhile...Him. Ultimately, as much as I may process and analyze, He needs to be the one I trust to provide the final conclusion.

4 comments:

  1. Oh,Stephie...I miss you. Of course you KNOW I can relate to this, and you just happened to pick two of my FAVORITE scriptures too! This is so true and you are so right - we think waaayy too much and depend on our own childish analytical minds to figure out a world that was never meant to make any sense without Him. Keep up your pursuit of Him, my dear sister!! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I'm sure you've figured out, this is Em - not Peter....but so far I haven't been successful in changing the name! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. EM!!! =D Do you have a blog on here? They are pretty great for those of us who tend to relate our thoughts and emotions better through the written word...just sayin'.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete