Wednesday, April 6, 2011

I Will Praise You In This Storm....


"I was sure by now
That You would have reached down
And wiped our tears away, stepped in and saved the day
But once again, I say, Amen and it's still raining...

"As the thunder rolls
I barely hear Your whisper through the rain, "I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls I raise my hands
And praise the God who gives and takes away.

"And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands
For You are who You are no matter where I am
And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand
You never left my side and though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm."


~Casting Crowns~


So...yesterday definitely counts as "one of those days." One of those days that you, (okay, or at least I,) never see coming. Maybe because they really don't come that frequently for me, so it is hard to recognize them until they are on top of me. They usually start quietly enough...nothing out of the ordinary. Then - wham! Something happens to turn your world upside down, even if for just a moment. Maybe it is a conversation, or an e-mail, or unexpected news. But when you get it, there is no avoiding the inevitable...you just have to walk through it, and pray that God in His abundant mercy covers you and keeps you from falling apart.

I hate these days - with a passion. I hate feeling helpless, hopeless, and weak. When these storms come, I usually try to lock myself away, huddle within myself until it passes, cling to my precious Jesus with all my strength, and let the rain and tears fall down. But I have recently discovered that perhaps that isn't always the best way to handle these storms...

Sometimes God will send people into your life to walk with you through the storm...(or in my case, sit with me as I curl in a fetal position on the couch.) One of the reasons I lock myself away is because I do not like sharing my pain or fear or, God-forbid, tears. Perhaps it is a pride-thing, I don't know, I just know that is what I have always done.

But I have come to realize that sometimes we need to just suck up our pride and self-reliance, and admit that we need each other. Sure, there are times when perhaps the best way to find healing is through silence and solitude, but when the Lord is gracious enough to send you another believer to walk alongside you, it is time to take a leap of faith and trust that He and that person will not let you drown.

So as the rain falls and the thunder rolls above your head, and all you can do is cry the name of Jesus... if God brings someone into your world to walk with you through the storm, absorb your mucus and mascara with their shirt, and simply hold you until the pain passes, see it as a gift from God - a physical sign of His presence and love. And then hold onto them and Jesus with both arms and legs....and choose to praise Him in the storm.


No comments:

Post a Comment